Monday, December 2, 2013

Southern Living


Coming to the South has always been a dream of mine. I wanted to live in New Orleans and experience true southern living. To me, New Orleans was going to be the best place ever. I knew life was going to be different here, but I never realized how different it would be. I live about 20 minutes outside of San Francisco, so I am use to a different type of life style. At home, I used out public transportation a lot. Our subway system is called Bart and it is pretty efficient to say the least. We also have a train system called Caltrains. I go into the city a lot, so I am use to a faster pace. I was expecting New Orleans to be the same. Well, I was wrong. New Orleanians like to take their time and enjoy things around them. While you are walking, people you don’t know will smile and say hi just because. I’m not use to that kind of hospitality. I would never think about doing that back home. I also did not anticipate how bad the streets would be. Walking down St. Charles is a challenge sometimes. I had never thought that the roads were such a big issue. Whenever I ride the streetcar, I feel like a true Southern. I know it is a very touristy thing, but I feel like I live here. I still can’t get over the gorgeous houses on St. Charles. We have mansions in California, but the style is vey different. Life in the south is very different, but so far it has been cool. I’m excited to see what other adventures I have in New Orleans after Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment