Thursday, December 5, 2013

A local artist

While watching TV one day a couple years ago, I happened upon the song Birds Fly Away by Theresa Andersson, and discovered she is a local singer and musician. She is originally from Sweden, but has been playing music in New Orleans since 1990. She recorded this song and the rest of the album in her own kitchen! I love the music video for the song Birds Fly Away. I think it's very reminiscent of New Orleans, with lots of images of the city and how she plays her music in the city. I also think the song itself is reminiscent of New Orleans: the mellow, sweet tune reminds me of the pace of the city and it sounds very inviting. The lyrics also bring to mind the city. For example, the first verse goes, "I'm sitting on my stoop / just thinking about the friends I used to know / summer were spent outside / snapping time on our thighs / smiling as the boys walked by". This is how I spent a lot of my summers: sitting on my great grandma's stoop with my family and talking and playing games and nodding at people who walked past. Also, I really like these two lines from the chorus: "Trees stand strong / they don't falter". I think it really captures how New Orleans has encountered so many setbacks but it will continue to live on strong and its residents will keep the spirit of the city alive. The music video for this song can be viewed below.

Theresa Andersson // Birds Fly Away
(Basin Street Records, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment