Sunday, December 1, 2013

Plantation Tour

I was lucky enough to be able to go to the fabulous Laura Plantation with a few fellow students and a professor. I had this expectation of the grand white house with pillars, very “Gone With The Wind” feeling. Upon arriving, we found out that this was a Creole Plantation, so it would be a little different than others.  When we drove up to the plantation, I was so excited, I could not contain myself!! This was the first time I had ever been to a plantation and I have always wanted to go to one. We were a little late for the tour, but it was cool to be able to see the plantation for myself without a tour guide telling me the history. I am one that likes to observe, take in the place and then hear the information. This house was gorgeous!!  A very traditional Creole house. It was yellow and had mint and red accents. There was also a double staircase leading into the top and main level of the house. One thing that I found very interesting was that there was no front door. There was a door on the left side and on the right side. If you were there to see the woman of the house, you entered the right side, and if you were there to see the man of the house, you entered from the left. I found that so fascinating. The inside of the house was as beautiful and as perfect as I imagined it to be. All of the stories that we heard were so interesting and kept the group very involved. Our tour guide was fantastic!!!! He was able to keep the group intrigued, which made for a more active group. He was also really good at leeway’s. He would give half of a fact and then pose a question that would make us want more. We would follow him to the next destination where he would finish the fact and then tell us more interesting things about the plantation.
The one place that was very intense to see was the Slaves Quarters. Traditionally, they were out about 3 miles into the sugar plantations, but the Laura staff was nice enough to bring them nice and close. When I first saw it, I could not believe that it was real. I felt like I was in a movie and that they were just facades. I just could not process that people actually lived there. It was a very humbling moment.
After the tour we went to the gift shop. They had many different things, but the one item that stuck out was their homemade candles. I never knew candles could smell so good!! After that we went to Oak Alley Plantation just for a second to take a picture in front of the house. We could not go right in front of the house so we had to pullover and take one in front of the gate. This was a very traditional style Plantation home, which gave us perspective on the different types of homes there are. It was such a great experience and I completely suggest everyone to go on a Plantation tour, especially Laura’s Plantation.
Below, a picture of a couple of us at Oak Alley Plantation!!


No comments:

Post a Comment