Monday, December 2, 2013

Does the Airport Really Represent New Orleans?

I decided to look up some quotes about New Orleans and I stumbled upon this one, “ I spent so many summers and New Years and fun times in New Orleans. It was always a place where I felt I go and enjoy the spirit of something.” The lovely Sandra Bullock said that. This made me think about the spirit of the city and what it is know for. And then it hit me. The Airport!! No, I am not crazy, well maybe a little, but if you have ever walked through Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, you will see paintings of traditional New Orleans things. The first time I had seen them was the first I came to New Orleans, which was last April. I knew very little about the city. I knew only the serotypes of the city. So these pictures fed into what I knew. This last time I was there, I looked at them a little bit closer. Yes, they are stereotype New Orleans, but it does give a version of what the city has to offer. The airport in general gave a sample of what the New Orleans spirit is.
Some of the pictures were more touristy things like Bourbon Street and the Quarter. But there were also very local things as well. There was, of course, a Saints painting, a crawfish boil, voodoo, and the streetcar, just to name a few. The airport also plays jazz music, which I find very relaxing and a cool way to incorporate some local traditions. New Orleans has a spirit of their own. Sandra Bullock is completely correct!! New Orleans is a place for fun and a place where anything goes. The city has a certain spirit to it!! I don’t know if it’s the people, the food, the voodoo, or all components, but this city has its own rhythm. People start in the airport and get a taste of what is about to come. That’s just another layer of why New Orleans is such a great place with so many different opportunities!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment