Sunday, December 1, 2013

Audubon Park

I walk in Audubon Park every weekend and it is the one thing that I always look forward to. First of all, it is one of the prettiest parks I have ever been in. I was not anticipating that at all. I was expecting a very normal park, a few trees and a little pond or stream, but when I saw the huge pond with ducks and swans, I didn’t know how to react. Then when I made it to the golf course, I was completely shocked. Over the last couple of months, I have made sure to pay attention to the people that were in the park. I wanted to see if there was a common trend between the people, whether it be race, social status, if they were locals, or any other patterns. I was able to pick up on some trends, but very few. There are a lot of college students that walk/run there and about half are people walking for a workout and the other half are just enjoying all the park has to offer. I felt that the park represented the city of New Orleans to a tee. It gave a sense of the diversity of New Orleans. You had people from all walks of life, all different backgrounds, in a neutral place where you could see how the actual people act. It broke the stereotype of New Orleans being all about the Quarter.

In other words, the park is all mighty equalizer. There, it doesn’t matter what neighborhood you come from, what is your race, and all together it doesn’t matter who or what you are usually defined as. The population there really represents who New Orleanians truly are. The park is such a wonderful and romantic place. I really hope the other parks in New Orleans are as great as Audubon is!

No comments:

Post a Comment