Sunday, November 17, 2013

That Time I Bought a Gris Gris...


I grew up in the secular Pacific Northwest. I never pride myself on this because I identify myself more with my hot-headed, superstitious Cajun heritage.  That is probably the number one reason I was attracted to New Orleans. So the minute I had a chance to leave my dreary enclave of a hometown, I chose to come to New Orleans, for college. I went to the Historic Voodoo Museum, which, before I went I thought “what a novelty” or “how kitsch,” but it was actually quite a destination. To support this tiny little gem of a museum I surveyed the gift shop. I paused on the gris gris. Gris gris are a West African tradition that transformed into voodoo tradition. They are little pouches, amulets, or charms that you wear on your person for a variety to intended outcomes. I bought one for creativity, because I had been feeling a little too academic the last few months, and one for love, because what the hell, I had been unlucky ever since I got to college. They were just little trifles, souvenirs, memories, or so I thought.
            On car ride back to campus, I got a phone call from the residential life office telling me that I had flowers waiting for me at the office. I was astonished, and if you knew me, you’d know that things like this don’t happen to me. I was all excited about this prospect of a secret admirer. But when I opened the note, the result was even better. The flowers from my father, who I hadn’t talked to for the last 3 months, and he sent them to wish me good luck for the play I was in. Love, in a very expected and wonderful way.
            That night in curiosity, I placed the creativity gris-gris on my desk. I then proceeded to break a writer’s block that had swamped me since I had arrived at school. I don’t know what to think about these occurrences. Other but take caution about where I take these gris gris with me now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment