Sunday, November 17, 2013

On Seeing Bad Music in New Orleans


In order to protect the dignity of many, I will be mentioning no specifics in this post
            Last night I saw a very bad show. It wasn’t bad in the way that it wasn’t my taste, or that there were some technical mishaps due to the incompetence of some roadie. Actually, at the end of the night I was begging that it had been one of the above mentioned catastrophes rather than what I witnessed. I fell trap to the “this friend I know has this student boyfriend playing a gig in the warehouse district,” and also I was lonely and bored and in theory this felt like it would have been a good night out. Boy was I wrong. Every note was a quarter step below where it should have been. The set swayed between  covers of melancholic love songs to the dreadful “I wrote this song myself” Emo power ballad. Let us say that it was so supremely unbearable to be there that I spent the rest of the evening out on the curb, bumming a Lucky Strike off of a stranger and trying to make sense of why this was happening to me in what I thought was the Music Eden of the world. A seedy, soulful, wonderful Eden for music as it were.
            It was because these were music industry students, none of them from New Orleans…there is a piece of the soul that will never quite because they aren’t from here. I am not a local myself, though you have no idea how much I pray that I could have been. There is a rhythm to this city in everything that is undeniable and completely mesmerizing. I don’t mean to  be patronizing to those who played, and I do admit that I had a vendetta against one of the people I was with that night, so nothing COULD have gone right for me. But as I sat on that curb, their inexperienced, painful, out-of tune drones in the background, I blew my smoke to the wind, and the patterns it created in the misty New Orleans evening had a soul of their own. Staring at this…my night became worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment